- CM Punk Says He Will “Never Ever” Return to WWEPosted 3 days ago
- WWE Reportedly Releases Ricky “The Dragon” SteamboatPosted 6 days ago
- The Commentary: Daniel Bryan’s Injuries Must Bring Change to WrestlingPosted 2 weeks ago
- Wrestling Rumors Radio – Episode 105 (July 5, 2014)Posted 3 weeks ago
- Wrestling Rumors Radio – Episode 99 (June 28, 2014)Posted 4 weeks ago
- Breaking: WWE Releases Josh MathewsPosted 4 weeks ago
- “SummerSlam” Poster Leaks, Possibly Spoils Marquee MatchPosted 4 weeks ago
- Wrestling Rumors Radio – Episode 93 (June 21, 2014)Posted 1 month ago
- TNA Likely Switching to Six-Sided RingPosted 1 month ago
- Wrestling Rumors Radio – Episode 88 (June 14, 2014)Posted 1 month ago
Vince McMahon Could Renew CM Punk’s Contract in July
- Updated: June 11, 2014
Vince McMahon could renew CM Punk’s contract in July. The latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter has provided some new information regarding a clause that exists in every WWE contract that would allow the company to automatically renew any superstars contract upon expiration.
The only known case of WWE executives renewing a superstar’s contract without the superstar signing an extension, or a brand new deal all together, was the recent renewal of Rey Mysterio’s WWE deal. McMahon reportedly renewed Mysterio’s contract for another year due to Mysterio’s time off while healing from injuries.
According to reports, McMahon feels as if Mysterio owes the company more time since he has spent so much of his latest contract off recovering from multiple ailments. Currently, Mysterio is rehabilitating from a injured hand, but he also had surgery on his knee in June of 2013 which kept him off WWE TV for almost eight months.
Mysterio was not expected to renew his WWE contract upon the deal coming to an end this month, but WWE renewed it anyway. With Punk’s contract coming to an end in July, McMahon could renew his deal as well.
Whether or not Punk would actually come back to work if his contract was renewed is left to be seen. However, if WWE renews his contract, it would keep him from working anywhere else.
Punk has not appeared on WWE programming since January’s “Royal Rumble” PPV, but has been mentioned a couple of times when WWE events have taken place in his home town of Chicago. The most recent comments made in regards to Punk were made by Paul Heyman and Stephanie McMahon during the June 1 “Payback” event, where McMahon made mention to Punk “quitting” the company.
Punk himself has recently been labeled as a “retired” wrestler by a former girlfriend. He confirmed this claim in a recent interview, and is set to marry former WWE Divas Champion AJ Lee in June 2014.
Now THIS is an interesting situation. If they bogart Punk for another year, would he come back to work? If he did, what kind of work would he do? Interesting to see how this one plays out.