In the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, it was reported that top WWE superstars want Alberto Del Rio back on the roster. Del Rio was recently fired from the company after an altercation with another employee. Del Rio slapped a WWE Social Media director after hearing that the employee had made an off-color and seemingly racist remark about him.
Del Rio reportedly slapped Social Media director Cody Barbierri so hard it put him down, which led to his dismissal. Apparently, Del Rio had been told he would only be suspended for the attack, but was phoned by Triple H later the next day to discover that WWE was firing him, yet would not be wishing him well in all of his future endeavors.
Del Rio, who has since joined Mexican promotion AAA, has taken the moniker El Patrón (The Boss), and exposed WWE as “racist” during the company’s latest major event on Aug. 17. Del Rio will reportedly be returning to the United States soon to “expose” more about the firing and the racism within the publicly traded company.
Representatives for Del Rio have reportedly been contacting US independent wrestling promotions as of late trying to book the former WWE Champion for autograph signings and competition, regardless of the one-year “no compete” clause that WWE pushed on his contract. The Del Rio camp does not believe that the clause, which is set to bar Del Rio from professional wrestling and MMA bouts for 365 days, will hold up in court, because the company is not going to be paying him during this time.
While his asking price to promoters is reportedly steep, many believe that because there is so much controversy surrounding the superstar that promoters will pay the price. Del Rio’s lawyers have reportedly given El Patrón permission to begin commenting on his release to media here in the US, which doesn’t bode well for WWE.
However, Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter claims that those close to Triple H backstage claims that the COO of the WWE told Del Rio to not defame the company or get into trouble during his time off, and he will re-hire him in six months or so. Top main event talent such as John Cena, Randy Orton, and Big Show have all expressed to Del Rio that they will do what it takes to get him back, but Del Rio seems to not want to return to the company, and may bury them when given the chance.
I really want to hear if Barbierri threatened to sue from Del Rio himself. Thing is, if Del Rio had just issued a complaint when the racist remark was made, Barbierri would have been let go. However, he put his hands on him, which gives all power over to Barbierri because he could claim he was “assaulted.” Crazy how ridiculous our legal system is, eh? We reward racism with job security. Makes sense (I hope you’re picking up on the sarcasm here, cause I’m laying it on pretty thick).